Before the Revolution of 1917, when the Bolsheviks came to power in Turkistan,
the British and Foreign Bible Society (BFBS) had an affiliate in Tashkent. The
BFBS distributed the Bible in various languages to those who lived in the
territory of Turkistan at that time. The Soviets quickly closed the BFBS in
April of 1918.
On November 30, 1993 the Constituent Assembly of Bible Society of
Uzbekistan was held at the country capital city - Tashkent. The Ministry of
Justice of Uzbekistan had officially registered the Bible Society of Uzbekistan
(BSU) in September of 1994.
The BSU is the only registered interdenominational Christian organization in the
country of Uzbekistan. The following denominations and churches participated in
the founding of the BSU:
The Russian Orthodox Church;
The Christian Full Gospel Church;
The Seven Day Adventist Church;
The Evangelical Baptist Church;
The Presbyterian Church.
The Roman Catholic Church and Lutheran Church both became part of
the BSU at a later point in time.
The primary responsibilities of the BSU are the translation, production, and
distribution of the Scriptures, as well as helping with the study of the Holy
Scriptures and giving the opportunity for people of various languages to read
the Bible in their own native language.
The Bible Society of Uzbekistan actively cooperates with various Christian
churches in Uzbekistan as well as with many international organizations. The BSU
also participates in the World Congress of United Bible Societies in which more
than 140 national Bible Societies representing more than two hundred countries.
If you would like to visit the Bible Society of Uzbekistan please
contact us and we will arrange a time.